All UK cemeteries are at risk - woods, graves, history, nature Councils want to dig up all graves to sell off as 'new' burial plots. This video tells the story.
WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW?
5th May 2017
SOUTHWARK IS TRYING TO FELL 10 ACRES WOODS WITHOUT A WOODLAND MANAGEMENT PLAN, CONSULTATION OR CHURCH PERMISSION
Southwark wants to start felling Grade 1 SINC woods Areas J, K and L, calling it 'woodland management' to try to avoid legal planning duties. Read on...
ONE TREE HILL GLADE IN CAMBERWELL NEW CEMETERY (Area D1) cut down in nesting season breaking promises to London Wildlilfe Trust and the public.
20 MORE TREES CUT DOWN IN UNDERHILL ROAD WOOD CAMBERWELL OLD CEMETERY (Area Z): 20 trees not counted on the planning application cut down on consecrated land.
NURSERY SITE CAMBERWELL NEW CEMETERY (Area B): Application to dig up three MORE acres of Honor Oak Nature Corridor for burial Please Object...
FINAL HORRIFIC GOAL: All current actions are to buy time while Southwark applies to Parliament to dig up and sell off thousands of graves as 'new' burial plots - the wholesale destruction of the Camberwell Cemeteries.
We call on Southwark Councillors to save the Camberwell Cemeteries with respect for the dead and invaluable inner city woods, nature and green spaces for the living.
SOUTHWARK COUNCIL DID NOT CONTACT THE COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISSION BEFORE STARTING THE LARGEST CEMETERY REDEVELOPMENT IN BRITISH HISTORY Read here...
Email the CWGC to tell them to stop Southwark's plans now, consult the families and let the graves, woods and green spaces rest in peace - the perfect memorial: email@example.com
Beautiful Camberwell Cemeteries - Southwark Woods: John Edwards @aerialuas
THE CEMETERY SELL-OFF SCANDAL
A 2007 law allowed London cemetery owners to apply to dig up the dead and resell their graves as 'new' burial plots. It is not an automatic right and families must be consulted. In 2012, Southwark adopted the largest grave 'reuse and reclamation' plan in British history - and began developing without consulting families, or even the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Southwark is developing over thousands of graves including dozens of CWGC WW1 and WW2 graves and felling over two acres of woods for 'new' burial plots - to buy time while applying to dig up graves, the wholesale destruction of Camberwell Old and New Cemeteries. All UK cemeteries are at risk. We're fighting to save our cemeteries as inner-city nature reserves with respect for the dead and woods and nature for the living.
NEXT FOCC SSW Meeting
7.30pm Tuesday 23rd May 2017
We meet in the back of the Herne Tavern at 2 Forest Hill Road SE22 0RR
2.00pm Sunday 25th June 2017
Meet Camberwell New Cemetery Gates
The Camberwell Cemeteries are full and maintenance costs money.
Southwark could make the Camberwell Cemeteries nature reserves, apply for grants and involve the community in their management.
Instead, Southwark is trying to make money clearing acres of woods to mound over graves and sell 'new' burial plots over the dead.
Southwark pretends this is 'local burial for local people' - but up to half of residents needing burial are illegally excluded by faith.
In 2007, local MP Harriet Harman championed a law for 75 year old graves to be dug up for resale.
In 2012, Southwark decided to dig up graves - without consulting families.
Since 2013, Southwark has been destroying SINC cemetery woods and obliterating thousands of poor graves tto sell 'new' burial plots.
This is to buy time while Southwark applies for permission to dig up thousands of private graves.
All London and UK cemeteries are at risk - Southwark is the test case.
Why do over 12,000 people object to Southwark's plans?
• Acres of rare, valuable inner city woods, nature and graves on Metropolitan Open Land bring beauty, health and wellbeing to tens of thousands of people
• Southwark has hidden its horrific plans to dig up the dead
• Families have not been consulted
• Felling acres of woods increases air pollution and risk of flooding
• Southwark's Burial Service practices religious discrimination - excludes at least 30% of residents needing burial by faith
• Multifaith leaders have just told Southwark Burial Councillor Ian Wingfield and senior officers at Cemetery Stakeholder meeting that Southwark does not provide for most Muslim residents' burials - more than 30% of Southwark's burial demand who have to go to out-of-borough private cemeteries
• Financial secrecy despite FOIs - non-statutory burial gets blank cheque while statutory services are slashed
• Cheaper, fairer burial exists for all right now at cemeteries on the edge of the city
• Southwark Council could invest in burial land at nearby cemeteries for all faiths - so no 'out-of-borough' cost to residents
Human remains dug up in 2008
Photo: South London Press
• Southwark doesn't care about WW1 and WW2 graves - didn't contact CWGC to check before starting massive cemetery redevelopment - families not consulted - plans drive access roads over soldiers' graves
RECENT MEDIA COVERAGE
The final resting place for tens of thousands of people including war heroes? Southwark Council wants to diig it up to sell 'new' burial plots over their remains. Help us save their graves and the natural beauty that envelopes them.
Stop cemetery owners felling woods, digging up the dead and selling off graves
Not Nunhead or Highgate but Camberwell Old Cemetery!
Two acres of Grade 1 SINC woods and memorials cleared for 'new' burial plots over thousands of graves including 48 CWGC WW1 and WW2 graves.
"London Councils Are Selling Private Burial Plots On Paupers' Graves."