An article in the Sun on Sunday today details the impact of current woks on just one of the graves in Southwark Council's 'care'.
18 month old Madeleine Coia, who suffered from muscular distrophy and other debilitating illnesses, was buried at Camberwell Old Cemetery in 1986.
But since works began felling two and a half acres of woods at Camberwell Old Cemetery at the beginning of February, her grave has been repeatedly driven over by works lorries and machinery.
Southwark Council claim in the article that the grave was damagd because it is next to a road.
But this is not a road - it is the temporary site access across the cemetery. And the damage was caused by their own works lorries and machinery.
The grave is nowhere near a road, it is inside the cemetery and has lain undisturbed since 1986.
The headstone has been removed athe tyre tracks covered in woodchips.
This is desecration of a grave and is a very serious matter indeed.
These cemetery development works are part of the largest grave mounding and excavation project in UK history.
Save Southwark Woods campaigners are fighting to stop the Super Cemeteries, fighting to save over 12 acres of woods that have grown over public and private graves, and preserve the heritage and history for generations to come. More than 10,000 have signed their petition, over 3,500 of whom are from Southwark.
“We already sent evidence of the desecration to the Diocese of Southwark who have raised it with Southwark Council," said Save Southwark Woods spokesperson Blanche Cameron.
"Southwark's Parks Manage Rebecca Towers claimed in response that the headstone had been repaired and there was no desecration. But unfortunately the photographs show quite plainly the grave had been driven over time and again and the headstone removed.
How many more graves will they desecrate before someone steps in and stops them? It's disgraceful - and shamelessly insulting to families for Southwark Council to deny it.
“The Diocese have told Southwark the Council doesn’t have permission for what they are doing and will not receive it before the Church Consistory Court hearing in late spring.
"Unfortunately Southwark Council obviously have no regard for the Church or its legal process and have continued their appalling destruction without permission.”
www.SaveSouthwarkWoods.org.uk | firstname.lastname@example.org | @southwarkwoods | Facebook Page Save Southwark Woods
Watch the video of the latest destruction of woods at Area Z Camberwell Old Cemetery
by Southwark Council
Below: More graves on Area Z at risk, as Council works continue without Church permission.
Above: Article by Katie Hodge in the Sun on Sunday.
Below: The desecrated grave of baby Madeleine Carlisle at Camberwell Old Cemetery, driven over and then the headstone removed